As we move into the fall and winter months, marine debris also moves onto our beloved beaches and coastline. In response to a couple remote debris accumulation areas identified by Oregon Parks and Recreation beach rangers, the Oregon Marine Debris Team is springing into action this weekend to remove this debris – and we need YOUR help!
Saturday, November 2nd Cleanups:
Cape Lookout/Netarts Spit Cleanup
- When: 8:30-11:30am
- Where: Meet at Cape Lookout Day Use Area to be transported back and forth to the site
- Bring: Gloves and dress for weather
- Description: This is a high debris area that requires a lot of walking and aggragating debris for vehicle transport for OPRD.
- Contact: Fawn@oregonshores.org for more information and questions.
Jump-off-Joe Beach Fire Cleanup
- When: 10am-1pm
- Where: Meet at Jump-off-Joe access point at 11th and Coast St in Newport
- Description: Only a handful of volunteers needed. Hosted by the Newport Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation and the Oregon Coast Community College Student Government.
- Bring: Supplies provided. Bring a bucket and gloves if you have them.
- Contact: See http://newport.surfrider.org/occc-student-government-cleanup-nov-2/ for more information
Sunday, November 3rd Cleanup:
Tahkenitch/Siltcoos Beach Cleanup
- When: 11am-2pm
- Where: Meet at Waxmyrtle Campground gate, ~8 miles south of Florence. Turn west for Siltcoos Recreation Area. Follow road over first bridge and turn left for second bridge crossing. Park immediately at campground entrance to be shuttle to the beach
- Description: Hosted by the Siuslaw Chapter of Surfrider Foundation and OPRD
- Bring: Gloves, dress for weather. Bags, snacks and water provided.
- Contact: Oregon@surfrider.org for more information.